The Best Foundation For Your Skin Type
Finding your perfect match foundation can seem like an endless journey, especially when you consider the fact that different foundations work better for different skin types.
What works for your favourite influencer, or what looks like a match in the bottle, might not necessarily work for you.
While understanding your skin tone and shade are also key factors in the decision-making process, your skin type will determine the foundation that’s right – and best – for you.
So how can you tell which skin type you have? We’ve compiled a list of five different skin types, and the products we love that work best with each.
Understanding your skin type
There are five different skin types that your skin can typically fall under, each of which will require different skincare regimens and products. Identifying the foundation you should use is as simple as identifying your skin type.
Caused by an overproduction of sebum in the skin’s sebaceous glands, oily skin is often prone to acne and breakouts. While you do need sebum to keep your skin healthy, too much of it can result in oily skin, clogged pores and unwanted acne.
Foundation for oily skin
To counteract the sheen that comes with oily skin, choose a powder, mineral or oil-free liquid foundation that absorbs the oil and covers the shine.
Here are our favourites:
- BareMinerals barePRO Performance Wear Powder Foundation: Let your skin breathe with this long-lasting matte foundation that reduces the appearance of pores and helps to minimise shine.
- Clinique Acne Solutions Liquid Makeup: For a natural finish that helps to conceal, clear up and reduce the forming of blemishes, try this oil-free, acne-fighting foundation.
- Hourglass Immaculate Liquid Powder Foundation: This liquid to powder foundation is made with a revolutionary formula that soaks up excess oil on your skin and helps to prevent future breakouts.
Where oily skin produces too much oil, dry skin doesn’t produce enough. This makes wrinkles and lines – especially those around the eyes and mouth – much more prominent.
Your skin will also be more susceptible to drastic changes in the weather as it tends to dry out in response to extreme climates.
Foundation for dry skin
To keep your dry skin hydrated and moisturised, opt for a powder, liquid or stick foundation that has beneficial hydrating properties. If you’re after light coverage, a tinted moisturiser will also work wonders for your dry skin.
Try these products:
- Revlon PhotoReady Candid Glow Moisture Glow Foundation: For a dewy look that conceals any and all imperfections, try this lightweight and moisturising creamy liquid foundation.
- Fenty Beauty Pro Filt’r Hydrating Longwear Foundation: We love Rihanna for giving us the gift of a longwear foundation that keeps your skin hydrated while fighting back against sweat and humidity.
- Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturizer Natural Skin Perfector: This tinted moisturiser will hydrate your skin all day long while blurring out any redness or blemishes.
While ‘sensitive skin’ isn’t a clinical term used by dermatologists, it is often used to describe skin that becomes easily irritated, whether that be by harsh products and fragrances or environmental factors, such as the sun or wind.
Those who suffer from skin common skin conditions such as eczema, rosacea and psoriasis will also fall under this category. No matter what it is that triggers your sensitivity, it is important to stay away from products that contain fragrance, alcohols, sulfates, parabens and preservatives.
Most essential oils, such as lavender, should also not be used on sensitive skin – especially on your face. Natural, simple, ‘dermatologist-approved’ products will work best for this skin type.
Foundation for sensitive skin
When it comes to choosing a foundation for sensitive skin, select naturally-derived, fragrance-free products with low-irritant ingredients. These will be gentle on your skin and less likely to cause any irritation or flare-ups.
Try these products:
- L’Oreal Paris True Match Naturale Mineral Foundation: 100% preservative and fragrance-free, this long-lasting, lightweight powder stays on even when things get hot.
- BareMinerals Loose Powder Matte Foundation with SPF 15: Free from a very long list of harmful ingredients, this hypoallergenic powder soaks up excess oil on the skin without clogging your pores.
- Hourglass Veil Fluid Makeup SPF 15: Packed with antioxidants to help minimise wrinkles, this liquid foundation will give you glowing skin and long-lasting coverage.
If you can’t quite nail down your exact skin type, it’s likely because you have combination skin. For the most part, this means that your skin may be fairly normal except for an oily zone here or a patch of dry skin there.
Foundation for combination skin
Finding the right foundation for combination skin can be something of a trial and error process. Try choosing a product that absorbs excess oil but also hydrates any dryer areas.
Try these products:
- L’Oreal Infallible Fresh Wear Foundation: With 30 different shades to choose from, this foundation lasts up to 24 hours without running, breaking or transferring.
- Nars All Day Luminous Weightless Foundation: This weightless, full-coverage foundation hides imperfections and redness to create a smooth and even tone.
- Armani Luminous Silk Foundation: Not only does this foundation feel incredibly lightweight, but it also keeps your skin moisturised and makes imperfections disappear.
For those of you with normal skin, you won’t have to worry about sensitivities, dryness or an overproduction of oil. However, that doesn’t mean you should neglect your skincare regimen – looking after your skin now will help to keep it supple and smooth in the future.
Foundation for normal skin
Rather than having to cater to any particular skin conditions, having normal skin allows you to choose a foundation for its look, positive reviews, brand name or general appeal. Lucky you!
Try these products:
- Maybelline Fit Me! Matte + Poreless Foundation: This easy to use foundation covers all the basics by hydrating your skin, concealing blemishes and evening out your skin tone.
- Fenty Beauty Pro Filt’r Soft Matte Long Wear Foundation: Heat, sweat and moisture-resistant, this foundation provides long-lasting full coverage and has 50 different shades to choose from.
- Dior Backstage Face & Body Foundation: Megan Markle used this foundation on her wedding day, and we can see why! Heat and sweat-resistant, it creates a flawless complexion that lasts.
A professional beauty bar can help you find the best foundation for your skin type
If you’re still not sure on which skin type you have, or which foundation will work best for you, visit a professional beauty bar like mister beauty for expert advice.
Our team can help you understand your skin type, give you tips on how to care for your skin, and find the right foundation fit for you.